Today’s Vital Church
Volume 1 and Volume 2
Today’s Vital Church is a two-volume set of interviews with experts on small-church leadership. These experts offer practical, proven approaches for making small churches more effective at fulfilling the Great Commission and, as a result, more vital to their communities.
Volume 1 includes interviews with:
• Pastor Drew Carroll, who led a church in crisis through a turnaround
• Pastor Jason Haymaker, who led a church through a growth from 150 to over 700 members
• David Murrow, author of the best-selling book Why Men Hate Going to Church
• Church growth expert Charles Arn, author of the book Side Door
• Shane Sooter, founder of City on a Hill Productions and producer of the feature film The Song
• Dan Scarrow, Director of Leadership Development for the Central District of the Christian and Missionary Alliance
• David Derry, a former pastor and current Ministry Advisor for FamilyLife
The expert advice is provided around three topics:
1. Revitalizing and growing your church
2. Improving your church’s evangelism
3. Improving your church’s communications
Part One begins with Drew Carroll discussing first steps in revitalizing a church, even a church that has been devastated by major conflict and a mass exodus. Next, Jason Haymaker discusses strategic changes to break through growth barriers. Jason also discusses how a pastor can stay the course, even when things get tough. Dan Scarrow then discusses how your church can develop leaders, both staff members and volunteers.
Part Two opens with Charles Arn introducing an innovative way to reach people in your community: “side doors”. David Murrow then explains why many men are reluctant to attend church and how your church can make targeted changes to reach men and, through them, families. Next, David Derry explores how churches can reach couples, including couples whose marriages are struggling. Part Two concludes with Shane Sooter (and me) explaining how to reach youth through media, specifically video production.
Shane Sooter returns in Part Three to explain how your church can improve its communications through effective use of media, especially during the worship service. Drew Carroll, a pastor who also serves as his church’s webmaster, discusses how to use the Web and social media to reach people in your community. Jason Haymaker closes the section with a discussion of choosing the right communications vehicles for different audiences.
Volume 1 on Amazon
Volume 1 on Createspace: paperback
Volume 2 includes interviews with:
The table of contents for Volume 2 is:
Volume 2 on Amazon
Volume 2 on Createspace: paperback